May 19, 2018
* This annual event is sponsored by the New River Chapter of the North Carolina Council of Chapters, MOAA.
* Do you like “pickin’ and a grinnin’”? Supporting our troops and their families? Honoring local veterans? Oohing and Aahing over handmade patriotic quilts?
* You guessed it! The third annual Marathon Jam is just around the corner. Mark your calendars for May 19, noon to midnight in the Ashe County Arts Council building. Come for a while or stay for the duration. Bring your neighbors and friends (I assume they are one and the same!) and if you play an acoustic instrument, plan on sitting in for a spell. If you stay for the entire 12 hours, you will become an “Iron Picker”, a much revered title in the Marathon Jam world.
* While pickin’ and grinnin’we will be raising awareness and money for military families by supporting the Fisher Houses at Camp Lejeune and Fort Bragg. As you know, Fisher Houses provide a temporary home, free of charge, for families of wounded service men and women so families can be with their loved ones during treatment, convalescence and rehabilitation.
* How is the money earned? Each musician reaches out to friends, family, neighbors and associates for sponsorship – just like a fun run. The only difference is that the musicians are strumming, not running. Admission for listeners is free of charge.”
* There are a few surprises in store for this year’s Jam. Plan on being part of the fun while further serving those who serve in our great military.