* The TIME to Never Stop Serving is more important than ever as MOAA and the North Carolina Council of Chapters move into 2017...the newest changes happening in our nation's legislative body should make this year an important one for getting many of the top issues for the Military Officers Association of America enacted.
* As always, NCCOC Chapters are encouraged to emphasize the importance of being enrolled in MOAA's Legislative Alerts to all members in order to get our "One Powerful Voice" in front of the Congress.
June 24, 2016
* In a June 24, 2016 e-mail from Jeri Graham, NCCOC Past President and Legislative Chair for the North Carolina Veteran's Council, it was reported that an 1130 committee meeting re: HB 842 was scheduled. Because of good interventions to keep this bill moving, the good news is that it's working.
* Here are some more good results so far for the legislative bills that the NCVC has been working on:
- HB 256 - ratified and should be signed soon:-)
- S 105 - voted positively (second committee meeting) - Homeland Security, Military and Veterans Affairs.
- HB 842 - hopefully there will be a reversal of the bill being sent to Appropriations since no monies are involved; previously sent out of Rules to Health, after which they sent it to Appropriations.
* This is probably all we'll get accomplished in the Short Session which is probably pretty good since it has been such a difficult time with considering the impact of HB 2.
* Jeri has had discussions with Ken Melton re: Engage 4th Branch...hopefully, all can see minor changes such that when you log on to www.4thbranchnc.org you shouldn't have to keep registering each time...whew! Plans are such that the contractor for Engage 4th Branch will be getting out more frequent messaging...pushing for weekly messages. Jeri has asked Melton and Assoc. to please adapt their legislative reports so messages can be shared on websites and newsletters.
* Stand by for more news, as it becomes available.