2012 Col. Marvin J. Harris Communications Awards Contest
* The North Carolina Council of Chapters received three awards in the 2012 Col. Marvin J. Harris Communication Awards Contest which is held annually to recognize both MOAA Councils and Chapters that do an outstanding job communicating with their members.
* The New River Chapter (NC-22) also received two awards during the competition in Category V (Chapters with fewer than 120 members).
* The five North Carolina Council of Chapters awards were:
Winner, Council Electronic Newsletters - Council Connections (CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, USN-Ret)
1st Runner Up, Council Print Newsletters - Council Comments (Maj. William Culler, USMC (Ret), and Dee Culler)
1st Runner Up, Council Web site - www.moaa-nc.org (CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, USN-Ret)
Winner, Chapter Electronic Newsletters - Current Happenings (CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, USN-Ret)
1st Runner Up, Chapter Web site - www.newrivermoaa.org (CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, USN-Ret)
Link: Click here to go to the award list on the MOAA website:
Discount buying program
* Click on the below link to open/read about GovX premium lifestyle and outdoor brands buying program. MOAA members can qualify for discounts via the program.
* It's quick, easy, and an exclusive service for MOAA members to receive 20-50% savings on a variety of products, from premium watches and sunglasses to hunting gear, golf equipment, and popular outdoor and lifestyle brands and even tactical gear.
* Simply click on the link below to visit MOAA.org/GovX and be sure you are logged into MOAA.
MOAA members all receive special access. GovX is not available to the public — only MOAA members and other military and government verified employees. It’s a place to exercise a privilege not extended to others in the marketplace.
How do I access these discounts?
Open the MOAA website and sign in with your MOAA name and password, and you’ll be able to easily access GovX.com.
Added MOAA benefit:
10% OFF your first order…In addition to their everyday deep discounts, you’ll receive a 10% discount on your first order. The GovX customer service team will answer whatever questions you might have about any GovX products; just call their toll-free number (888) 468-5511.
Link: Click here:
COL-Ret. Charles Knapp, MC, USA Attends Oscar Ceremony
* The New River Chapter's 1st VP, COL-Ret. Charles Knapp, MC, USA, was recently honored with attendance at the Oscar Ceremony in Beverly Hills, CA for his role as a consultant on an upcoming film about Desmond Doss, the first conscientious objector to be honored with America's highest military award for valor above and beyond the call of duty in the face of enemy fire.
* Congratulations, COL Knapp for this special recognition and for your work in telling Doss' story!
Link: Follow this link to visit the New River Chapter post:
The below downloadable file contains information regarding the Representatives of the 113th Congressional Districts and corresponding North Carolina's MOAA Chapter alignments.
January 2, 1929 - November 17, 2012
* Col-Ret. Donald Wood, USMC served as President, NC State Council, MOAA from 2004-2006.
* Funeral arrangements were handled by the Jones Funeral Home, Jacksonville, NC.
* A memorial service and burial was held on Wednesday, November 21st at the Chapel at the Coastal Carolina Veterans' State Cemetery that is adjacent to Camp Johnson, Camp Lejeune.
Link: Jones Funeral Home Obituary Page
November 11, 2016
* High Country MOAA Chapter President Captain Fred Schmitt, USCG, Ret., shared this message via the NCCOC website:
- "The HCCMOAA extends an invitation to the Council of Chapters to attend the 10th annual Veterans Day Ceremony at 1100, November 11, at the Boone Mall, Boone, NC."
October 10-11, 2016
* Sandhills Chapter President Polly Flippo shared information from the 3rd Quarterly Meeting that was held in Blowing Rock, NC about an important program that supports veterans from the Veteran Patriots Action Conference.
* Vets In The Fight is providing a robust "Get Out The Vote" educational program led by some of the nation's foremost experts on campaign strategy at the local, county, state, and federal levels at Owens Auditorium, Sandhills Community College.
* The purpose of this conference is to educate and engage veterans in the current presidential election by providing a forum for speakers to address veterans' and national security issues. Several well known speakers have already committed and both presidential candidates have been invited to attend or send a representative from their campaign to speak at the event.
* The conference is $65 for both days and includes a box lunch.
* VPAC is asking veteran organizations to help publicize the event and encourage attendance. If so inclined, there are also opportunities to sponsor a wounded veteran to attend and to become an event sponsor.
Link: To register or get more information go to: