* Col-Ret. Donald Wood, USMC served as President, NC State Council, MOAA from 2004-2006.
* Funeral arrangements were handled by the Jones Funeral Home, Jacksonville, NC.
* A memorial service and burial was held on Wednesday, November 21st at the Chapel at the Coastal Carolina Veterans' State Cemetery that is adjacent to Camp Johnson, Camp Lejeune.
* The Traveling Memorial stands as a reminder of the great sacrifices made during the Vietnam War. During the upcoming Memorial Day weekend 2017. The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall® will provide a venue that allows Vietnam War veterans, families, and local residents the ability to see the memorial, attain closure, and learn about the Vietnam War.
* The Otway Burns Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), with presenting sponsor Big Rock Blue Marlin Fishing Tournament, is hosting the memorial at Glad Tidings Church (4621 Country Club Road, Morehead City, NC) Friday, May 26th until Tuesday, May 30th.
* At approximately 10 a.m. on Thursday, May 25th, the memorial and a motorcycle escort will leave the New River Shopping Center in Jacksonville and proceed east on Highway 24. In Morehead City, the escort and memorial will proceed across Highway 70 onto Bridges Street, then turn left on Country Club Road, and enter the Glad Tidings Church property.
* Groups and individual bikers interested in escorting the Wall should contact Cindy Knigge (email@example.com).
* Round-the-clock viewing of the memorial will commence following the opening ceremony scheduled for 11 a.m. on Friday, May 26th until 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, May 30th when the brief closing ceremony will be begin.
* Chapter Regent Linda Phelps says the Otway Burns Chapter is sponsoring the monument in Morehead City, which has a large veteran population, for healing and to allow people the opportunity to visit who otherwise may not be able to make the trip to Washington, D.C.
* For more information, find the event on Facebook “Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall Morehead City” or contact Otway Burns Chapter NSDAR Regent Linda Phelps (910- 326-6164 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
* Tax deductible donations can be made to the Otway Burns Chapter Treasurer and mailed to Dolores Witt, 312 Bonita Road, Cape Carteret, NC 28584.
* High Country MOAA Chapter President Captain Fred Schmitt, USCG, Ret., shared this message via the NCCOC website:
- "The HCCMOAA extends an invitation to the Council of Chapters to attend the 10th annual Veterans Day Ceremony at 1100, November 11, at the Boone Mall, Boone, NC."
* Sandhills Chapter President Polly Flippo shared information from the 3rd Quarterly Meeting that was held in Blowing Rock, NC about an important program that supports veterans from the Veteran Patriots Action Conference.
* Vets In The Fight is providing a robust "Get Out The Vote" educational program led by some of the nation's foremost experts on campaign strategy at the local, county, state, and federal levels at Owens Auditorium, Sandhills Community College.
* The purpose of this conference is to educate and engage veterans in the current presidential election by providing a forum for speakers to address veterans' and national security issues. Several well known speakers have already committed and both presidential candidates have been invited to attend or send a representative from their campaign to speak at the event.
* The conference is $65 for both days and includes a box lunch.
* VPAC is asking veteran organizations to help publicize the event and encourage attendance. If so inclined, there are also opportunities to sponsor a wounded veteran to attend and to become an event sponsor.
* Co-Leaders of the Sanford Satellite of the Sandhills Chapter attended the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony of the Sanford Community-Based Outpatient Clinic on 29 June 2016. Celebrating this event were many dignitaries and community leaders and members. This CBOC provides Primary Care, Mental Health and Telehealth Services.
* Pictured upper right (L to r): COL (Ret) Jeri Graham, Immediate Past President NCCOC and Sanford Satellite Co-Leader; Congresswoman Renee Ellmers (R-NC, 2nd District) Keynote Speaker; Elizabeth Goolsby, USA (Ret) Director, Fayetteville VA Medical Center and Daniel F. Hoffman, FACHE, Director, VA Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network VISN 6.
* Pictured lower right at the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony are VA and Sanford dignitaries as well as Mr. Waddell, Special CBOC Veteran (front center), soon to celebrate his 102nd birthday.
* Started 30 years ago to honor North Carolina's fallen heroes, the Thomasville Memorial Parade and Ceremony is a day long event to reflect on their service and honor their memory.
* Open the below downloadable files to see information on scheduled events and learn how to participate in this annual celebration...