* Col-Ret. Donald Wood, USMC served as President, NC State Council, MOAA from 2004-2006.
* Funeral arrangements were handled by the Jones Funeral Home, Jacksonville, NC.
* A memorial service and burial was held on Wednesday, November 21st at the Chapel at the Coastal Carolina Veterans' State Cemetery that is adjacent to Camp Johnson, Camp Lejeune.
* High Country MOAA Chapter President Captain Fred Schmitt, USCG, Ret., shared this message via the NCCOC website:
- "The HCCMOAA extends an invitation to the Council of Chapters to attend the 10th annual Veterans Day Ceremony at 1100, November 11, at the Boone Mall, Boone, NC."
* Sandhills Chapter President Polly Flippo shared information from the 3rd Quarterly Meeting that was held in Blowing Rock, NC about an important program that supports veterans from the Veteran Patriots Action Conference.
* Vets In The Fight is providing a robust "Get Out The Vote" educational program led by some of the nation's foremost experts on campaign strategy at the local, county, state, and federal levels at Owens Auditorium, Sandhills Community College.
* The purpose of this conference is to educate and engage veterans in the current presidential election by providing a forum for speakers to address veterans' and national security issues. Several well known speakers have already committed and both presidential candidates have been invited to attend or send a representative from their campaign to speak at the event.
* The conference is $65 for both days and includes a box lunch.
* VPAC is asking veteran organizations to help publicize the event and encourage attendance. If so inclined, there are also opportunities to sponsor a wounded veteran to attend and to become an event sponsor.
* Co-Leaders of the Sanford Satellite of the Sandhills Chapter attended the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony of the Sanford Community-Based Outpatient Clinic on 29 June 2016. Celebrating this event were many dignitaries and community leaders and members. This CBOC provides Primary Care, Mental Health and Telehealth Services.
* Pictured upper right (L to r): COL (Ret) Jeri Graham, Immediate Past President NCCOC and Sanford Satellite Co-Leader; Congresswoman Renee Ellmers (R-NC, 2nd District) Keynote Speaker; Elizabeth Goolsby, USA (Ret) Director, Fayetteville VA Medical Center and Daniel F. Hoffman, FACHE, Director, VA Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network VISN 6.
* Pictured lower right at the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony are VA and Sanford dignitaries as well as Mr. Waddell, Special CBOC Veteran (front center), soon to celebrate his 102nd birthday.
* Started 30 years ago to honor North Carolina's fallen heroes, the Thomasville Memorial Parade and Ceremony is a day long event to reflect on their service and honor their memory.
* Open the below downloadable files to see information on scheduled events and learn how to participate in this annual celebration...
A Military Appreciation Dinner, a tribute to veterans, is being hosted by the Carolina Trace Country Club in Sanford, NC. Open the downloadable files below to learn more about the event.