June 6, 2018
* North Carolina MOAA Council of Chapter officials met at the legislature building in Raleigh to prod legislators to vote yes on legislative bills in the House and Senate to provide for veterans’ needs (Top photo, L to R) COL Iggi Husar, US Army (Ret), Coastal Carolina Chapter President; LtCol Greg Chase, USAF (Ret), Council of Chapters 3rd Vice President, Legislative Affairs; LCDR ET Mitchell, USN, Coastal Carolina Chapter Legislative Liaison; David Lee, CAPT, USN (Ret), Council of Chapters President).
* COL Iggi Husar, US Army (Ret), MOAA Coastal Carolina Chapter President and LCDR ET Mitchell, USN, Coastal Carolina Chapter Legislative Liaison, met with Senator Norm Sanderson and House Representative Michael Speciale to discuss veterans issues and legislative bills important to veterans in coastal Carolina (Bottom photo, L to R) Senator Norman Sanderson, COL Iggi Husar, Representative Michael Speciale, LCDR ET Mitchell.
June 6, 2018
Pictured (L to R) Jim Wiltjer, Diana DiStefano, Don Gersh, Ralph Hinrichs, Juan Chavez and Vern Pike.
* One complaint that Veterans have voiced about the VA is their uncertainty as to where to begin in order to receive services and supports.
* VA’s myriad of services, resources, and materials can be daunting. Therefore, the VA listened and released a Welcome Kit to guide Veterans to the benefits and services that they have earned.
* The VA Welcome Kit is user-friendly and addresses eligibility and benefits in six areas:
- Health Care,
* Based on Veteran’s stage of life, Veterans can figure out how the VA can help in the present and future.
* Veterans can download a copy of the Welcome Kit for their convenience by clicking here.
* Jeff Smith, Military and Veterans Affairs Director for UNC-TV wants members of our North Carolina Council and Chapters to know of the upcoming Ken Burns (pictured, right) Series on the Vietnam War.
* Jeff wants to make sure that all have the opportunity to view one of the upcoming screening opportunities across NC. These events include:
- Jacksonville DAV - 8/16
- Wilmington Battleship NC - 8/28
- Welcome - Richard Childress Racing - 9/6
- Southern Pines - Sandhills Comm. College - 9/7
- Asheville - 9/11 NC History Museum - Raleigh - 9/14
* For more information on this or any of UNCTV productions relating to Veterans Affairs, Jeff Smith can be reached at e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or via his cell at 919-815-2363.
March 14, 2017 (effective date)
* The document (right) can be opened in a larger view - right click on the image - in order to read, or it can be downloaded to your computer below.
* Please ensure widest delivery of this information to all veterans who may have been affected by this situation at Camp LeJeune.
February 10-11, 2017
Need help filing a VA claim? Questions about survivor benefits? Filing an appeal? Check out this event that will take place in Roanoke Rapids on February 10th and 11th.
July 15, 2016
The results of a survey conducted by Military Officers Association of America provided information regarding topics of greatest importance to our Association's membership.
May 11, 2016
* The North Carolina Council of Chapters participated in the Legislative Day held in Raleigh on this date.
* Following set-up, events of the day included an opening ceremony in front of the Legislative Building, the many veterans and veterans groups honoring the colors, and a bagpiper playing "Amazing Grace and leading the procession into the building to "Storm" the legislators.
* Representatives of the veterans groups met with Senator Louis M. Pate to share the 2016 Legislative Goal and Associated Talking Points.
* A Vietnam War 50th Commemorative Ceremony was held at 9:00 AM to invite all eligible veterans from the conflict to be recognized with a commemorative lapel pin and certificate as part of the ceremony. A total of 49 serving veterans were honored.
* All veterans attending the legislative day met with Speaker Tom Moore in the House Chambers to hear his remarks and were then given a period for Q&A.
* In the afternoon, veterans were invited to attend the House and Senate sessions, beginning at 2:00 PM and hear the reading of resolutions sponsored by NelsonMullins and to receive recognition by the legislators.
February 16, 2016
* The below, downloadable file contains a wealth of information about the activities of the NC Coalition on Aging which is supported by the NCCOC.
* Open/read to stay informed as we're all aging!